There is an old man who lives in the wide expanse of woods behind my house. He committed a hideous crime – it was so bad, I can’t even describe it – and was sent to prison. Life sentences – nine of them. He was a very clever, very shrewd man, and in 1999, the year my oldest daughter was born, through careful planning, he escaped, and ran into the woods behind our house where he has lived ever since. There’s even a lean-to that you can see if you go deep, deep into the brush.
Anyway, that’s the story I made up to tell my girls every time we wander through the beautiful, lush woods on walks and scavenger hunts and games of flashlight tag. I tell this story to scare my girls from wandering in there and getting lost. Plus, they are firmly into the “I dare you…” stage. ALL of them -sigh. And the story works…lol…a little TOO well. Even when I am with them, they walk around like five little skittish Nancy Drews searching for clues.
Broken branches become proof that he walked there. Fallen logs, criss-crossed in odd angles, are actually his “look-out” points. And… poop has to be declared to be an animal’s, before the girls calm down.
This evening, I am engaging in two kinds of “tag”.
First, the girls and I are heading out for a game of “tag”, and second, I have been “Tagged” by Unhappy Mommy.
(There was no image to copy and paste with this “Tagging”, so I whipped this one up. Please feel free to use it on your website if you happen to get “Tagged”.)
“You‘ve Been Tagged Rules”
- Answer a question the “tagger” listed in their post
- Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer
- Choose 11 people to tag and link to them in the post
- Let each blogger know that you have tagged them
These were the questions I could chose from…
- What is the one truth that you know, without a doubt, that you wish you could share?
- What is the best day that you’ve ever had?
- What mistake have you made, that you’d make again? Why?
- Where do you want to be in ten years? What are you doing to get there?
- What is your favorite song? Why?
- Where was your first kiss?
- Did you have a favorite teacher? Why did you like them best?
- If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
- What makes your heart sing?
- Have you ever had a ‘Eureka!’ moment? What was it?
- What is your favorite part of your day?
The question I chose was:
#3 – “What mistake have you made, that you’d make again? Why?”
“Back in the day”, I was enrolled in nursing school and seriously dating a doctor for about five years. When he worked his long, grueling shifts, I spent long, lonely nights lost for hours in HIS med books, which I found a million times more exciting than my own. Soon, I started toying with the idea of perhaps going for pre-med, too. But, my boyfriend didn’t WANT to be married to a doctor – he wanted a family and a wife who was always at home. He said the hours we would both be working would be detrimental to raising children well – that children deserve to have at least one parent around a decent number of hours in a day consistently – and after seeing the drama some of our friends were battling – I really had to agree.
So I gave up on that dream and even quit nursing school! The resentment I felt, however, pushed us apart and we both went our separate ways. He – back to surgery, me – I went back to school for media arts.
I made the mistake of allowing someone else to influence such a crucial decision for me. However, as time has gone by, I see that my life as a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom with my own business that allows me to work whenever and wherever I want – travel at whim – and explore and enjoy each day of my life to the fullest BY FAR blows away what I imagine life would have been like spending my days in a cold, sterile environment.
So, thank you, Dr. P., for having the wisdom to show me what a wonderfully free spirit I am. Your patients are extremely lucky to have such a dear, wise man tending to them and I wish you and your family much continued success, love and joy.
My 11 Questions to Those I “Tagged”…
- What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
- What is the most defining moment of your life thus far?
- Is it more important to love or be loved?
- What’s the one thing you’d like others to remember about you at the end of your life?
- What small act of kindness were you once shown that you will never forget?
- Are you happy with yourself?
- What is your most prized possession?
- In your lifetime, what have you done that hurt someone else?
- Right now, at this moment, what do you want most?
- What’s something most people don’t know about you?
- Who would you like to forgive?
The people whose blogs I am “tagging” are those who have left the most comments on my posts – YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
And my Versatile Blogger Award Nominee #4 is:
Brain-Dead Mom – Very relatable and simply puts me me in a great mood!